Michael Haskins

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Private Eye Writers of America's Shamus Award


I received an email from the editor of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine to let me know that my short story, Vampire Slayer Murdered in Key West, is one of 5 stories up for the Shamus Award this October. Was I surprised!

The nice thing,  other than being nominated, is that the committee that chose my story is made up of fellow writers. The story appeared in the double Sept/Oct. 2011 issue of EQMM. If you have a copy hanging around, read the story.

It is an honor to be nominated and I am humbled.

Lee Goldberg's Mr Monk story is also on the list and Lee and I were friends back in LA before my move to Key West. I've sent Lee my best wishes.

Don't know what my chances are, but will be biting my finger nails until than.

Oh yeah, on the official website and other notices, my name is listed as Michael West, but I'm told the correction will be made. If I win, I hope they get the name on the award!

Just wanted to share the news. Now I can put "Shamus Award nominee" on my jacket cover and in PR releases. Hope it helps sales!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found out that the official nominee list has your name wrong: Michael West rather than the right Michael Haskins. You should tell the PWA committee chair. Good luck. Jiro

Michael Haskins said...

Jiro, thank you, I have already contacted them and, I suppose, it will be fixed before October!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map